Saturday, 25 April 2015

Small story about a frog

Some woman found a sink plug in her green salad at a restaurant recently.  She posted a picture on Facebook, and the incident was reported in The Brisbane Times.  (Some people will insist on making a fuss.)  I believe the proper way to go about this would've been to talk to the manager, and to leave it at that.  As they say in the classics, Shit happens

I know.  Not very long ago I was out to lunch with my dear writing friend, Andrea, when something jumped from my Caesar salad into my lap. Hooley dooley.  I shrieked. I caught it! Dumbfounded, I sat for a minute. "Did you see what I saw?" I said to Andrea. 

Not this guy


It was a little green tree frog. I took the poor little thing through to the kitchen wrapped in my paper napkin - it was a Monday and they weren't very busy - and asked the chef if he knew the limerick: 

          A young man dining at Crewe
          Found a fly in his stew. 
Said the waiter, "Don't shout 
And wave it about,
          Or the rest will be wanting one, too."

But he didn't, so that fell a bit flat...and I began to feel a bit silly.

The salad in question


We released the little frog into the restaurant's back garden.  It had been raining and he shot off my hand and jumped under a large wet leaf. He probably sat there until his heartbeat had stopped quivering. He sure has an adventure to tell his grandchildren. Once upon a time, I was minding my own business in a garden of leaves... The restaurant staff were very apologetic and naturally didn't charge me for my meal. They told me their salad leaves were organic and ordered in from a producer out of town. But they didn't seem too phased. They were quite cool actually, which makes me wonder if this had happened before...

Anyway, that is how you go about it. I did post a piccie on FB - because Andrea and I thought it was funny - but I didn't mention the restaurant's name, or get in touch with the paper. Or write a nasty review on Trip Advisor. 

I mean, the plug could've been released back into the sink, couldn't it? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment