Monday, 19 January 2015

Poetry

I'm into poetry at the moment, or sentences that are poetic.  Maybe it's the influence of John Banville, who I've been reading.  I have a line of his (from The Sea) on my desk, which I look at every so often. 

I...went softly past the silent and unseeing house and walked down Station Road in the polished pewter light of the emptied afternoon. 



Here's a poem I wrote a couple of years ago:



6pm, Brisbane
Stopping in the Rain          
  
In the headlights the child was
Shadowed by a black and huge umbrella
All thin arms and glistening legs
The dog was more forthcoming -
Pattering across the wet tarmac
He blinked away the raindrops
And grinned his gratitude
The way dogs do.

But then, just before she stepped to safety
The child shifted the umbrella, she lifted her face
And through a veil of slow dripping rain  
She looked at me


No comments:

Post a Comment