Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Tread softly

Had I the heaven's embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

                                           William Butler Yeats




Nobody could have said it better. 

I'm talking about dreams this morning. 

I calculated that I've been writing with serious intent for over twenty years.  I went to my first writing class (with the admirable and splendid Carmel Bird) when I was pregnant with my first child. He's now twenty-six. The thing is I've never given up. I've never relinquished the dream of having my novel on a shelf in a bookstore. Of being able to say, I'm an author.

I've written several books over the years. I have at least one in my bottom drawer, and a couple of others that were learning curves, and a couple that I began and put aside. I have one that I self-published (Adrift), and I have another (Sargasso) which is currently with a publisher. Gulp. 

What's got me going on dreams this morning, is that today the results of the Fish memoir competition come out. Yes, I know it's also April Fools Day, and you may read into that whatever you like ...  



I've been entering various Fish competitions for a number of years. Thousands of writers enter the Fish, and it's a humbling experience. Sometimes I've made the long list. Once, I made the short list. Hooley dooley. And while I'm not holding my breath over the results coming out today, I'm also mildly excited. 

Because I have dreams... Tread softly.

No comments:

Post a Comment