Tuesday, 7 January 2014

A new year

OK, so I don't usually make new year's resolutions, but this isn't really a resolution, it's more like a change. A change in the way I choose books to read.  My choice is usually random. Sometimes someone recommends a book to me, sometimes a friend will put a book into my hands and say, "You have to read this." Newspaper reviews influence me, and bookseller websites, and what my friends are reading on Goodreads.com. 

What happened to change this way of doing things? I saw a movie just before Christmas, called "Night Train to Lisbon", which I loved in spite of the critics' reviews of "ploddingly slow", and when the credits rolled I saw, Based on the book by Pascal MercierI have to read that book, I thought. 



Not long after that, I saw the trailer for "The Railway Man", and I thought I have to read that book. (I also thought this may well be Nicole Kidman's best ever role...And I thought is it just me, or are they making more movies based on books these days?)



Then I was in a second hand bookshop just after New Year's Day, a lovely second hand bookshop by the way, in Mooloolaba, one block behind the surf life-saving club - here's a piccie...


And a book I've been meaning to read for a long time - Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey - jumped out at me. 



So this is how it's going to be for 2014. I'm going to let books choose me.  I think it's going to be an interesting year...I can't wait to find out how book number four chooses me.

No comments:

Post a Comment