Monday, 3 June 2013

The Day of the Triffid...

This creepy-looking plant is growing outside my laundry door.



Its head looks like that of a small dragon.  Those things on its stem are thorns.  I reckon it's growing at a rate of 10cm a day. I asked The Loved One for his opinion.  He said it will keep growing until its head taps against the upstairs bathroom window. It will knock to be let in.  Louder. Then it will break the glass...


And I thought I was the one with the active imagination. 

This whole scenario reminds me of a particularly wonderful book I haven't read in years: The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. 

Stunning Cover!

The novel is about some plants that try to take over the world. They get about by walking on their roots; they seem to be able to communicate with one another, and can sting you with a concoction that causes blindness. The scene I remember most vividly is the protagonist going to the front door, and these things being on the threshold, chattering to each other, demanding to be let in. The Day of the Triffids was first published in 1951 and established John Wyndham as a writer of some merit. He had written other novels, but it was TDOTT that put him on the map. It remains his most important work. The narrative is seen through the eyes of its protagonist Bill Masen (ironic since Bill has been blinded) and is an account of mankind's survival. If you've never read it, you should.

I'm going to the library today to hunt down a copy to see what it is I have to do - just in case. I suggest you do the same. I have a creepy feeling I'm being watched. I should've locked the laundry door. I think - Arghhhh... 



No comments:

Post a Comment